Many people suffer from chapped and cracked lips due to the dryness in the environmental conditions. Chapped, or cracked, lips are the term commonly used to describe dry lips which are a common feature during winter. They can be painful and unattractive. The common symptoms include dryness, redness, cracking, flaking, and tender or sore lips. Sometimes the dry lips start bleeding also. One has to careful and takes care of lips even before the winter sets in.
Home remedies to treat dry cracked and chapped lips
Glycerin (personally recommended)
With the arrival of winder season, people keep enough of glycerin at the stock to reduce dryness in skin. You can now apply just two drops of glycerin on your lips before going to bed. As soon as you get up in the morning, your lips will be fine.
Butter/ ghee (most common)
If you have kids at home or your breakfast generally consists of bread and butter, applying this natural home remedy will be easier for you. The Indian butter or Ghee is also quite effective to treat your cracked and chapped lips. Just apply it in small quantity and get moisturizing effect for a longer period of time.
It is normally found in the garden. You can use the gel extracted from the Aloe Vera juice to get a perfect remedy of chapped lips. It is now possible to take Aloe Vera juice directly from the plant. Just rubbing the raw Aloe Vera leave on your lips with a slight tear that brings out juices will be quite effective. You need to repeat the process for few days to eradicate this problem entirely.
Indian Kitchen especially in Bengal, Mustard oil is used repeatedly. Whether they cook fish or that of meat, cooking will be always done through the mustard oil. Thus, it is quite easy to get in the kitchen. If your lips are had cracked and it very painful, you must dip your finger in the mustard oil and apply it on your lips. It may burn for some time, but will be very effective for your cracked lips.
You must have known that, cucumber is really a good food for skin. Many women consume this fruit to get clear and glowing skin. You can now peel a cucumber and cut it into pieces. Now put it in the mixer to get some juice out of it. After applying this juice in your lips, you must keep it for 5 – 10 minutes to get best result.
It is a great moisturizer that has healing and antibacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Honey and glycerin at night gives softer lips in the morning.
It helps in exfoliating dead cells and to restore the natural softness of the lips. Apply a paste of honey and sugar on the lips.
It make a paste of rose petals after soaking them in milk for a few hours. Apply this paste on chapped lips three to four times in a day. This remedy will help in keeping the lips moisturized
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that help in the healing of chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather
Castor oil is another good treatment for dry and chapped lips. It can be applied on the lips as it is or it can be used by mixing it with few drops of glycerin and few drops of lemon juice.
The high fat content in milk cream makes it a great natural lip moisturizer. Apply fresh milk cream on the lips, leave it for a few minutes and then wipe it off with cotton ball dipped in Luke warm water.
Diet for Cracked, Chapped and Dry Lips
Just like the skin on the rest of the body the skin on the lips has to be kept hydrated.Here are some dietary tips for relieving cracked and chapped lips.
- Adequate water and fluids must be taken on daily basis.
- A healthy diet comprising of several vitamins, minerals. In order to keep the body healthy. Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants must be included in the diet.These help the body from the harmful effects of free radicals.
- Vitamin A is an important vitamin for the good health of the skin as it helps in repair and maintenance of the tissues.Milk, apricots, carrots and milk products are a rich source of Vitamin A
- Vitamin C found in citrus fruits and several vegetables helps to protect the body from sun damage and also helps in tissue repair. Vitamin C increases the production of collagen which makes the lips fuller and suppler
- Nuts, leafy vegetables and eggs contain high amounts of vitamin E which helps to prevent lines and wrinkles on the skin. Ageing is also a cause dryness of the lips,it is important to supply the body with adequate amounts of vitamin A.
- Similar to cracked heels chapped or dry lips are a common problem. Common symptoms are dryness, redness, cracking, and flaking. The main causes are vitamin deficiency, allergic reaction, dehydration, smoking, exposure to harsh sun and wind in cold weather.
- Sugar helps in exfoliating dead cells and to restore the natural softness. Apply a paste of honey and sugar on the lips. Rub and wash it off after 10 minutes with Luke warm water.
- Honey is a good moisturizer and it possesses anti bacterial properties to treat chapped lips. Apply only honey 2-3 times a day.
- Rose petals help in keeping the lips moist and in regaining their natural color. Soak petals in milk and make a paste and apply at night on the lips.
- Coconut Oil is a natural moisturizer that helps to heal chapped lips caused by cold or dry weather.
- Castor Oil is also beneficial for treating chapped and dry lips.
- Milk Cream serves as a good lip moisturizer. The fat content of the milk works wonders in softening the lips. Apply fresh milk cream on the lips, leave it on for few minutes and then wipe with cotton ball dipped in Luke warm water. You can get beautiful and rosy lips like a baby.