It’s time for something different.
To my delight, I finally found a basic recipe for homemade hairspray! yipiee!
- 1 whole orange (for dark hair) or lemon (for light hair), preferably organic (to avoid having pesticides in your hairspray)
- 2 cups distilled or filtered water
- 2-3 tablespoons high proof vodka (or other clear grain alcohol)
- 6-8 drops of lavender essential oil
Cut a whole orange or lemon into wedges and combine with 2 cups water in a small pot. Boil over medium high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
Strain liquid into a measuring cup. If you boiled too much liquid out add water until you have 1 cup. Allow citrus juice to cool.
Combine alcohol and essential oils in a small bowl, swirl to mix, then add to the cup of citrus juice. (Feel free to experiment with your favorite essential oil or leave them out altogether.)
Use a funnel to pour into a spray bottle with a mist bottle or a spray bottle and shake to combine ingredients. Shake before each use.
A Few Things to Note
- This is not a maximum hold hairspray that will freeze a prom up-do or 80’s bangs, it’s a flexible hold formula.
- Use an orange for darker hair, and lemons only if your hair is light-colored. There is a chance the lemon can lighten your hair when exposed to sunlight.
Grab the orange or lemon sitting in your fruit bowl and give this hairspray a whirl!